There is a good reason why you find most chocolate bars in the ‘Candy’ aisle in most store. That is because they are not actually ‘real’ chocolate. A package labelled as a 65 percent bar of chocolate may contain some actual cacao and taste like chocolate, but that is where the similarities between ‘real chocolate’ and ‘fast chocolate’ end.
Unwanted Ingredients in Fast Chocolate
Just like any fast food product, supermarket chocolate contains many ingredients most people would prefer not to eat, nor can they pronounce.
- Large corporations choose to substitute pure sugar with cheaper sweeteners in their products to save money. There is also typically an increased amount of sugar or sweetener, which causes you to want to eat more.
- One of the most popular sugar substitutes is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is tied to obesity, along with a greater risk of developing type-2 diabetes and hypertension.
Partially Hydrogenated Oils
- Many chocolate brands use partially hydrogenated oils to extend the shelf life of their products.
- This type of oil contains trans fats. Studies show trans fats can increase bad cholesterol while decreasing good cholesterol. Partially hydrogenated oils may lead to a higher likelihood of developing certain diseases.
Artificial Colors and Flavorings
- Due to low-quality ingredients, many corporations use artificial color and flavorings to enhance the appearance and flavor of their products.
- Some varieties of food coloring contain cancer-causing dyes and have the ability to increase hyperactivity in kids. A few of the large producers of chocolate makers have recently promised to remove artificial colors from their chocolate, but most big brands continue to use them.
- Most chocolate makers don't have to reveal on their list of ingredients which artificial flavors are in their products. Therefore, consumers never know for sure what they are eating.
Anyone who has ever eaten a waxy, stale, or overly sweet chocolate bar can tell you supermarket chocolate often doesn't taste good. Even world-famous luxury chocolate brands can disappoint a chocolate fanatic. The best chocolate comes from the makers who care what goes into your body, and create their delicacies from only the finest ingredients.
Legacy Chocolates in downtown St. Paul offers hand-crafted, real chocolate. The staff of Legacy Chocolates devote their time to bringing back the art of making artisan chocolate to Minnesota. Customers can choose their favorite truffles or chocolate bark to take home, or enjoy in the store along with a fresh cup-at-a-time hand-poured coffee. All chocolate is free from artificial flavorings, coloring, and only contain the finest all-natural ingredients. There are never any preservatives added, which is why all the chocolate displayed in the store is kept in refrigerated cases. Feel better about the chocolate you eat. Stop by the store or order online at www.legacychocolates.com.